Using a French Press coffee maker (often referred to by the popular brand name Bodum ) is a simple, and elegant way to make your fresh coffee. Oh, and did I mention DELICIOUS? French Press coffee is considered by many coffee afficionados to be the most tasteful cup you can make.
What you'll need:
- A French Press (Bodum) coffeemaker
- Freshly ground coffee beans
- Fresh, cold water
** It matters how you grind your coffee. For French press, you'll want large granules of ground coffee - so set your coffee grinders accordingly. (Burr-type coffee grinders are a far better quality - they won't give your coffee that burnt taste that cheaper coffee grinders do. :) Spend a little more and get yourself a great coffee grinder.) **
Directions for a GREAT Cup of French Press coffee, straight from Bodum's user instructions:
1. Place pot on a dry, flat, non-slip surface. Hold handle firmly, then pull the plunger of the bodum press unit straight up and out of the pot.
2. For each 1.25 dl, 4 oz cup, put 1 rounded tablespoon or 1 BODUM scoop of coarse ground coffee into the pot. CAUTION: Use only coarse ground coffee. Fine grind can clog the filter and create high pressure. Place coffee maker on a heat proof, non-slip surface.
3. Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pot. Leave a minimum of 2.5 cm, 1 inch of space at the top. Stir the brew with a plastic spoon. CAUTION: Metal spoons can scratch or chip the bodum glass beaker and cause breakage.
4. Place the plunger unit on top of the bodum press pot. Turn the lid to close off the pour spout opening (does not apply to the bodum brazil models). Do not press down. Let the coffee brew for at least 4 minutes.
5. Hold the bodum pot handle firmly with the spout turned away from you, then using just the weight of your hand, apply slight pressure on top of the knob to lower the plunger straight down into the pot. Lowering the plunger slowly with minimal pressure produces best results. If the filter clogs or it becomes difficult to push down the plunger you should remove the plunger from the pot, stir the brew and then slowly plunge again. WARNING: Using excessive force can cause scalding liquid to shoot out of the pot.
6. Turn the lid to open the bodum pour spout and then pour coffee.
7. Unscrew the filter assembly and clean the bodum plunger unit after each use. All parts are dishwasher safe.
8. Scald Hazard: Excessive plunging force can cause scalding hot liquid to shoot out of bodum pot. Do not plunge with force. Turn lid to close spout. Use only coarse ground coffee. Safety Instructions: Not for stove top use. Check glass beaker for scratches, cracks or chips. Do not use a pot which is scratched, chipped or cracked. Install a bodum replacement beaker before using the pot again. Keep children away while using. Hot water is a hazard to small children! Do not allow children to use this coffee maker.